Newton Abbot Town Council
The Town Council is involved with the following:
- Maintenance of various footpaths/seats in and around Newton Abbot.
- Use and maintenance of the Town Quay, off Brunel Road.
- Use and maintenance of Victoria Gardens, Victoria Place
- Maintenance of and the planting at the War Memorial in Queen Street.
- Marketing, operation and maintenance of St Leonards Clock tower (including the bells) Wolborough Street.
- Newton in Bloom – Organises and funds seasonal planting around the town centre in the form of formal beds, hanging baskets and planters. Businesses are also offered the opportunity to sponsor these in certain locations. Also arranges for the Newton in Bloom Schools Painting Competition.
- Maintenance and provision of bus shelters.
- Provision of allotment areas through the Newton Abbot & District Allotments Association
- Statutory consultee to the District Planning Authority on Major and all other planning applications.
- Consultee on all applications for the naming of streets and numbering of houses and various services provided by the District Council.
- Pavement Cafe License
- Shop Improvement Grants
- Maintenance of the ancient Vicary’s Mill Leat, Bradley.
- Newton Abbot Town & GWR Museum
- Use and maintenance of Golden Lion Square
Organisation of various events including:
- Victorian Evening
- The Historic Cheese and Onion Food Fayre
- Band Concerts
- Town Criers Competition
- Remembrance Service & parade
- Christmas Lights Switch-on
- Christmas Late Night Shopping
- Mayor’s Carol Service
- Lantern Parade
- Newton Abbot Carnival