NEWTON ABBOT TOWN COUNCIL CODE OF PRACTICE HANDLING COMPLAINTS
Before the Meeting.
- The complainant should be asked to put the complaint about the Council’s
procedures or administration in writing to the Town Clerk.
- If the complainant does not wish to put the complaint to the Town Clerk they
may be advised to put it to the Mayor.
- The Town Clerk shall acknowledge the receipt of the complaint and advise
the complainant when the matter will be considered by the Council or by the
Special Committee established for the purposes of hearing complaints.
- The complainant shall be invited to attend the relevant Meeting and bring with
them such representative as they wish.
- 7 clear working days prior to the Meeting, the complainant shall provide the
Council with copies of any documentation or other evidence, which they wish
to refer to at the Meeting. The Council shall similarly provide the complainant
with copies of any documentation upon which they wish to rely at the Meeting.
At the Meeting
- The Council shall consider whether the circumstances of the Meeting warrant
the exclusion of the public and press. Any decision on a complaint shall be
announced at the Council Meeting in public.
- Mayor or Committee Chairman to introduce everyone.
- Mayor or Committee Chairman to explain procedure.
- Complainant (or representative) to outline grounds for complaint.
- Members to ask any question of the complainant.
- If relevant, Town Clerk to explain the Council’s position.
- Members to ask any question of the Town Clerk.
- Town Clerk and complainant to be offered opportunity of last word (in this
- Town Clerk and complainant to be asked to leave the Council Chamber while
members decide whether or not the grounds for the complaint have been
made. (If a point of clarification is necessary, both parties to be invited back).
- Town Clerk and complainant return to hear decision, or to be advised when
decision will be made.
After the Meeting.
- Decision confirmed in writing within 7 working days together with details of
any action to be taken.