Newton Abbot Town Council
The Town Council is involved with the following:
- Maintenance of various footpaths/seats in and around Newton Abbot.
- Use and maintenance of the Town Quay, off Brunel Road.
- Use and maintenance of Victoria Gardens, Victoria Place
- Maintenance of and the planting at the War Memorial in Queen Street.
- Marketing, operation and maintenance of St Leonards Clock tower (including the bells) Wolborough Street.
- Newton in Bloom – Organises and funds seasonal planting around the town centre in the form of hanging baskets and planters. Businesses are also offered the opportunity to sponsor these in certain locations.
- Maintenance and provision of bus shelters.
- Provision of allotment areas through the Newton Abbot & District Allotments Association
- Statutory consultee to the District Planning Authority on Major and all other planning applications.
- Consultee on all applications for the naming of streets and numbering of houses and various services provided by the District Council.
- Pavement Cafe License
- Shop Improvement Grants
- Maintenance of the ancient Vicary’s Mill Leat, Bradley.
- Newton Abbot Town & GWR Museum
- Use and maintenance of Golden Lion Square
Organisation of various events including:
- Victorian Evening
- Band Concerts
- Town Criers Competition
- Remembrance Service & parade
- Christmas Lights Switch-on
- Christmas Late Night Shopping
- Dog Friendly Christmas Carol Service
- Mayor’s Carol Service
- Lantern Parade
- Newton Abbot Carnival