Carnival float sponsored by: Redrow Homes
This year’s Newton Abbot Town Carnival has now ended and due to the great support received it enabled the carnival to have a very successful and entertaining week.
Running on a tight budget the carnival managed to stage a varied assortment of events to suit all ages and interests ranging from the Spectacle of the Crowning of the Carnival Queen and the Carnival Procession to the energy of the Fun Run and the traditional Bingo night. Also from the performances of the Carnival afternoon entertainers and Band Concert from Carnival Praise, to the elegance of the Tea Dancers. For the second year running the popular wheelbarrow was back! Please CLICK HERE for entries and results.
The Carnival Committee strive to improve the week and all events making each more enjoyable to attend. Help and positive ideas are always welcomed as we aim to keep Newton Abbot entertained to the best of our ability.
A Bucket collection of approx. £700 and other donations on the day made carnival day a success. With the Duck Race being our main Fund raising event we hope to be able to donate a generous amount to our charity for the year which is ‘Dyron’s Journal, the talking newspaper’.
Full details will be made apparent later in the year at our presentation evening. Other Charities were able to benefit with stall collections of their own at Courtenay Park on carnival day but they do need the public to help them on that day by coming along, they will also be entertained by many talented performers at the same time. Plus to those who turned up to watch the procession, we thank you.
Thanks to all who helped, supported, entertained, volunteered, organised, sponsored and contributed each day. It is difficult to maintain the carnival financially and otherwise but we have succeeded for another year.
A special thank you from the organisers to the following sponsors of the carnival:
- Redrow Homes
- Launa Windows
- Danceworks Devon
- Recreational Trust
- Andrew Hill
- Teignbridge Propellers
- Newton Abbot Town Council
- Panache Bars & Events
- Harrier LLC
- Best Accountancy Services
- GMM Insurance
Many of the carnival raffles would not have happened without the help from local businesses in the area who supported the carnival by donating raffle prizes, so thank you.
It was thoroughly enjoyed by all and we hope to have another successful carnival in 2019.
Winners of the carnival procession on Saturday 14th July are as follows:
- Visiting Carnival Royalty – Chudleigh Carnival, ‘School of Rock’
- Best Carnival Queen – Chudleigh Carnival, ‘School of Rock’
- Best Carnival Attendants – Chudleigh Carnival, ‘School of Rock’
- Float Spectacular – South Brent Carnival, ‘Be Our Guest’
- Business – Tesco Superstore
- Adult Group – Meadowside Charity ‘Snow White & the seven dwarfs’
- Children Group (11-18) – Orchard Saturday Club ‘Cat in the Hat’
- Children Group (under 11) – 1st Newton Abbot Brownies ‘The Minions’
- Fancy Dress (adult/family) – Pam Tunnicliffe ‘Going to Oz’
- Fancy Dress (child) – Brook-Tyler Mitchelmore ‘Dalek’
- Best Wheeled Entry – Bubbles CC ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’
- Mayor’s Award – Bubbles CC ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’
The winner numbers were 693, 808, 735, 873, 815, & 253. Cash prizes which was kindly donated by Launa Windows were presented to all winners on the Carnival Day.