Newton Abbot Town Council News
Newton Abbot Carnival week 2016
This year’s Newton Abbot Town Carnival has now ended and due to the great support received it enabled to the carnival having a very successful and entertaining week.
Running on a tight Budget the carnival managed to stage a good assortment of events to suit all ages and interests ranging from the Spectacle of the Crowning of the Carnival Queen and the Carnival Procession to the energy of the Fun Run, the new Children’s Fun Games evening and the Tractor Pull. Also from the Performances of the Carnival afternoon entertainers, Band Concert from Carnival Praise to the elegance of the Tea Dancers. Finally the Intelligent quizzers to the sheer game of chance that is Bingo. Quite a list I think you will agree.
There were record attendees and participators at the Fun Run, Tea Dance and Bingo with near records at the Quiz Night and the number of Little Yellow Ducks sold.
Something new is always welcomed and this year was the Children’s Fun Games evening at the Recreational Trust. The Carnival Committee to improve this and all events making each more enjoyable to attend. Help and positive ideas are always welcomed as we aim to keep Newton Abbot entertained to the best of our ability.
A Bucket collection of £450 and other donations on the day made carnival day a success. With the Duck Race being our main Fund raising event we hope to be able to donate a generous amount to our Charity for the Year which is ‘Meadowside Home’.
Full details will be made apparent later in the year at our presentation evening. Other Charities were able to benefit with stall collections of their own at Courtenay Park on carnival day but they do need the public to help them on that day by coming along, they will also be entertained by many talented performers at the same time. Plus to those who turned up to watch the procession, we thank you.
Thanks to all who helped, supported, entertained, volunteered, organised, sponsored and contributed each day. It is difficult to maintain the carnival financially and otherwise but we have succeeded for another year.
A special thank you from the organisers to the following sponsors of the carnival:
• Redrow Homes
• Launa Windows
• Danceworks Devon
• Recreational Trust
• Andrew Hill
• Teignbridge Propellers
• Hamilton-Gray Coaches
• Elite Holiday Tours
• Parkers Funeral Directors
• Newton Abbot Town Council
• Mid-Devon Advertiser
Many of the carnival raffles would not have happened without the help from local businesses in the area who supported the carnival by donating raffle prizes, so thank you.
It was thoroughly enjoyed by all and we hope to have another successful carnival in 2016.
Winners of the carnival procession on Saturday 9th July are as follows:
• Visiting carnival Royalty – Ashburton carnival ‘Lion Sleeps Tonight’
• Best Carnival Queen – Chudleigh carnival ‘Calypso Queen’
• Best Carnival Attendants – Totnes carnival ‘ Alice in Wonderland’
• Float Spectacular – South Brent carnival ‘swinging 60s’
• Motorises Wheeled Entry – NA Community Transport, Silver Jubilee ‘25 years of helping the community’
• Non-motorised wheeled entry – ‘Out of the Sea’ (Tunnicliffe)
• Adult Group Entry – ‘Vintage Ladies’ (The Vintage Ladies Shop)
• Fancy Dress (adult/family) – ‘The Little White Wedding March’ (The Little White Dress Shop)
• Fancy Dress Child – ‘Jack in the Box’ (Corey Enticknap)
• Mayors Award – Most appealing walking entry – ‘The Little White Wedding March
The winner numbers were 339, 910, 423, 137, 58 & 911. Cash prizes which was kindly donated by Launa Windows were presented to all winners on the Carnival Day.
To view pictures from this year’s carnival day & procession please CLICK HERE